Monday, July 16, 2007

Leg 1 - Tour de Michigan

Because the classes RTM teaches all fall during the school year, he has the summers off which makes it possible for us to take an extended month-long summer vacation in Northern Michigan. Our kids are the fourth generation of Monroes at RTM's place on Mullett Lake, while my parents are relative newcomers to the region - they're approaching their 20th year on Walloon Lake.

Sometimes, especially up here, I almost get how neighboring cultures can harbor ill feelings for each other even after decades of peace.

People can have uncommonly long memories. I shouldn't say that - it sounds bad, and that's not a fair representation. It's just that there's a stronger feeling of generational history here than I have seen anywhere else, probably because this is the only place I have experienced where families keep coming back for generation after generation.

Pittsburgh is like that for several of my friends - I should ask if they have any idea what I'm trying to say.

It's just beautiful up here, though. We have everything I could want - family for visiting, lakes for swimming, sand for building, long roads for cycling, good food for - well, you get the idea. I get more high-quality exercise here than anywhere. At home I do a lot of quickie workouts, just enough to stay in shape for the rare occasion when I can really go knock myself out. Here I can knock myself out on a regular basis. Running, open water swimming, hammerfest biking, you name it. Sweet.

S0 we've been up here for two weeks and it's time to move from Mullett Lake to Walloon, although that's not what we're going to do. Turns out my dad's back, which has been an issue on good days, hasn't been having any of those lately. He's holed up at home in Ann Arbor waiting for an MRI and an appointment with the neurosurgeon. So we're going to bring the whole famdamily downstate to relieve him from the tedium of waiting. Or relieve him from the comfort of a quiet couch in front of his choice of non-animated TV show. Whatever.

I'm worried about my dad and it's beginning to dawn on me that this may not be a convenient time to leave the country. Although we don't live really close by, I like to think I can be there if my folks need me. So add that to my list of concerns.

(PS An idea for a future posting - What Could Go Wrong? Sounds like a fun one - I'll hold off on that one for a really wigged out hormonal day. You are hereby warned.)