Friday, August 24, 2007

Hallelujah!

Guess what's in my fridge?

Beer. Five cold ones. I am almost giddy.

I met a really nice family a few doors down from us with a liquor permit (and two boys entering the American School of Doha in 3rd grade and Kindergarten which is fun but not quite as exciting right now) and they say we should be able to get a permit without too much trouble. We just need a letter from CMU affirming that we are not Muslim and stating Bob's salary - you can only buy some set percentage of your monthly income on alcohol. Then we send that in with a liquor permit application and hope like heck it comes through before Ramadan starts and the liquor stores close down for a month.

They'll even show me where the liquor store is - apparently it's on the outskirts of town and not really signed and the hours are pretty limited and it's not on any map.

So how hard could that be? Well, the point is that someone who has been through the process said it's possible and let me tell you, I'm thinking it's worth the effort.

That's all the news for today. Now we adults are going to settle down and drink the beverage of our choice. And I'm not talking about strawberry juice.