Friday, April 4, 2008

Reprise, extended dance remix

Yep - you guessed it. We're heading back.

Daddy-O got an invitation to leapfrog his career in a three-year contract in Doha. So that's just what we're going to do. It was an easy decision, really - this is an opportunity that doesn't come around but once a decade (or two). And there are opportunities for me too - I've been chomping at the bit for over a year to re-launch my career, and as the US economy tanks it makes some sense to go where there are tons of interesting projects. The kids were happy during our first visit, their school is fantastic, way beyond anything we could afford here.

So it's a good decision. Except that getting there is going to suck. Once we decided to go to Qatar, the easy choice was over and everything that has followed has been grueling hard.

We've been happy is the thing. We have a comfortable life, surrounded by wonderful friends and close (enough) to family. We lack for nothing, in contrast we are incredibly fortunate. Is it ungrateful to pursue more? I hope not, because I try hard to be conscious and appreciate the life I have. Have I mentioned before that I hate to say goodbye? Well, we've got a lot of that going on.

It's going to be a long haul.