Wednesday, June 13, 2007

First Entry Ever

This is my first blog entry ever, so forgive the amateurism. I'll work on technique later... Now I just want to get the ball rolling.

So a word of introduction.

The intent of this blog is to chronicle my family's 2007 adventure in the Middle East. We are an ordinary American family with three kids - J, a boy age 8; C, a boy age 5; and A, a girl age 3. Last fall RTM, the big guy, Daddy-O, came across an Exciting Opportunity to teach college during the Fall semester 2007 in Doha, Qatar. Our family took the bait and now, in about two months, we are launching ourselves into what may be the most exotic travel and family adventure I will ever undertake.

Some times I get pretty intimidated by the prospect, but I have to remind myself that this is a relatively short expatriate experience. Many, many families have taken more adventurous journeys with great success. But what do I know about that? Very little from the first person perspective. Our greatest adventure so far was to take the family with grandparents to an Arizona guest ranch, which was fantastic by all accounts, but come on. We had at least two extra adults and went somewhere they spoke English, played with horses, and ate primarily steak. Not exactly pushing the limits in terms of culture shock. But we'll have plenty of that later.

Next entries:

Mission statement (what do I hope to achieve in the trip, and what's the point of this blog anyway you narcissistic attention-hound?)

Current status on plans and logistics


Signing off,

Mom Monroe