Monday, June 18, 2007

What's the Big Idea?

Why are we taking our family to the Middle East in 2007?


Because CMU asked for faculty to volunteer to teach, and put together some attractive incentives.

Because although Qatar is a very safe and western-friendly country, it's also in the Middle East, and that's a region Americans need to understand better.

Because we've always talked about living overseas and wanting to travel to Exciting Destinations, but we haven't ever made it happen.

Because the kids are out of diapers but still young enough to go just because we said so. Because they'll always remember this experience, and it will enrich their lives.

Because I won't be a stay-at-home mom forever, and this sort of experience probably won't be an option once I go back to work.

But most importantly, because RTM and I made a commitment to reclaim our adventurous spirits. I've always thought of myself as someone who is up for an adventure; letting this opportunity pass would mean giving up on that. It's a link to my youth, and I'm a long long way from ready to let that go.


What do I hope to accomplish in Qatar?

World peace and enlightenment.

Really, though, I want to try something new and exciting, learn to roll with the punches, see a part of the world that is effectively inaccessible from Pittsburgh, and come home with a greater appreciation for the people and things we love most.